Thursday 4 March 2010

Mojo Muffins

These muffins were one of the first recipes I adapted for our big entry into the world of muffin making for the Woodbridge Christmas Fayre and I have been making them ever since, with endless variations.
They are based on Nigella Lawson's Jam Doughnut Muffins in How to be a Domestic Goddess (a fabulous book) but have been changed a lot by me. The changes have involved halving the sugar and making the ingredients wholemeal rather than white. I also omit the dipping in butter and then sugar at the end. I find cakes are good and I prefer them if I can taste the ingredients rather than just sugar.
The photo below shows some of the ingredients before I got started.
I love the way my kitchen looks nothing like the beautiful, clutter-free ones I see on the blogs I drool over so much.
In this picture you can see my dandelion coffee, a glue stick and Frank's picture of Spring duckings. For around 8 muffins you will need to beat 125ml milk, one egg, half a teaspoon of vanilla extract and 85ml oil (I used a very mild olive oil to minimise the flavour interference) in a bowl or jug.

Then add this to another, larger bowl of the dry ingredients which are 200g wholemeal self-raising flour and 50g brown muscovado sugar.
Mix quickly, not worrying about lumps. Mixing muffin batter too much will take away the lightness and make them heavy.

Fill each muffin case one third full with batter.


Top with a teaspoon of either jam (we use St Dalfour or Tiptree high fruit) or fruit puree or, as I did today, mincemeat (homemade by the wonderful Fiona!).




Top with the remaining batter and bake at 190C/Gas mark 5 for 2-25 minutes until golden and bouncy to the touch.


Apply to face.


Let me know how they work out for you.

1 comment:

  1. OMG those look amazing, I am so hungry at the moment I could eat my laptop. Definately on my to make list!

    ReplyDelete