Thursday 27 May 2010

Two minor miracles before leaving the comfort zone

Miracle number one: I managed to finish this scarf late last night and just in time for our camping trip. It means I can start something new in the van en route to Yorkshire.

It was SO EASY.

I highly recommend it to anyone new to knitting as it just involves plain stocking stitch and then dropping stitches the the end and laddering them all the way down the scarf.

Miracle number two:Yesterday I tried Jen's recipe for pancakes, adding a little vanilla and some chopped strawberries to the mix. We ate them with more strawberries and some kiwi and, hold the phone, Frank ate two of them and all his fruit!!

This is a minor miracle as he is really stretching me at the moment with his limitations on what he will and won't eat.

He used to eat anything : soup, stews, pasta with sauces etc. etc. Him eating these and enjoying them was a sign of things to come. I am determined on our return from Yorkshire to get to grips with introducing more variety to our diets, because the fact of the matter is that we are all eating a bit of a mono diet so that we can eat together.
When we get back next week there will be a new sheriff in town!

Food is provided on our camping trip so we should be able to tempt the boy wonder with a few new treats. He will be out of his comfort zone but also he LOVES camping so very much that he'll love it all.
I am, however, experiencing more than a little disquiet at leaving my own comfort zone of dealing with diabetes at home. We have all our kit packed, including extra supplies. We have located the nearest A&E in York and about 25 minutes drive away from the campsite.

We spent nearly a month in Brittany over Christmas and I was nervous then.
I am just as nervous now.
This perplexes me as I imagined it would get easier.
But it won't stop me because when I think of it I am not sure there even is a comfort zone!

I'll be back at the end of next week with tales of fun and, judging by the weather, probably frostbite.

5 comments:

  1. Have a great trip and those pancakes look very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that scarf, it's funny because Miss E's auntie loves to knit and she is always making the cutest things for my girls. Well, Miss E now says that she really wants to learn how to knit and she wants ME to knit with her!!!

    I have never picked up a knitting needle and Miss E is only 4 years old, so I spoke with her auntie and we are going to get her started soon. Apparantly they sell little kits that have some sort of guide like a needle point sort of thing so that anyone can knit. We will start there and see what happens :)

    Wish me luck!

    I hope you have an amazing trip and that D treats you all well, I know that it is nerve racking to leave your comfort zone but I do hope that you have the best time ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your scarf is gorgeous! Love it! And the pancakes look really good. It is such a relief when the kids like a new food. Have a wonderful trip, enjoy the adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely scarf!

    So glad the pancakes were a hit!

    We have not been camping yet with Addison since dx. We attempted a camping vacation last summer but Addison came down with a fever just as we got off the ferry and we had to turn around and go home! I was a wreck before we left home double, tripe, quadrouple checking to make sure we had everything we needed. I am sure I will still be nervous our first actual time camping but I am sure it will all turn out ok. I love camping and I know Addison will too and it will be totally worth stepping out of the comfort zone!

    Hope you have a great trip & I look forward to hearing all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to hear all about your adventures! I too stressed out big time over the first couple of trips. I hope you remember everything and I'm sure it will be a dreamy time!

    ReplyDelete